A. Lab # : BSBA BIS245A-1
B. Lab 1 of 7 : Introduction to MS Visio and MS Access
C. Lab Overview–Scenario/Summary
1. Given a business situation in which managers require information from a database, determine, analyze and classify that information so that reports can be designed to meet the requirements.
2. Given a situation containing entities, business rules, and data requirements, create the conceptual model of the database using a database modeling tool.
You have been asked to create two conceptual database models using MS Visio Database Model Diagram Template. The purpose of this lab is to have you gain familiarity with the various modeling tools needed to create a conceptual model (entity relationship diagram) of a database. You will create two conceptual models.
You will then open an existing Access database to explore database objects and to experiment with simple data manipulation using filters and sorts and to begin elementary work with relationships.
Upon completing this lab, you will be able to
1. relying on detailed instructions, create a simple conceptual model for a two-table database using MS Visio;
2. use experience gained in creating the first model to construct a similar conceptual model without the instructions; and
3. download an existing Microsoft Access database file. Open the database; find and identify different database objects in this database.
YourName_Lab1.vsd (Visio Diagram)