A. Lab # : BSBA BIS245A-2
B. Lab 2 of 7 : Skills Development in Visio; Creation of MS Access Database
C. Lab Overview–Scenario / Summary:
1. Given a business situation in which managers require information from a database, determine, analyze, and classify that information so that reports can be designed to meet the requirements.
2. Given a situation containing entities, business rules, and data requirements, create the conceptual model of the database using a database modeling tool.
3. Given an existing relational database schema, evaluate and alter the database design for efficiency.
4. Given an existing database structure demonstrating efficiency and integrity, design the physical tables.
You have been asked to create a conceptual database model using MS Visio Database Model Diagram Template. The purpose of this lab is to have you gain experience with the various modeling tools needed to create a conceptual model (entity relationship diagram) of a database. You will then modify the model for implementation as a MS Access database. You will create and modify one conceptual model.
You will then create a MS Access database based on the model developed in Visio, creating the necessary tables and relationships.
Upon completing this lab, you will be able to
1. relying on detailed instructions, add two entities to the existing conceptual model (ERD), including attribute data types and required field lengths;
2. create a new MS Access database file;
3. using the model from Parts A and B of the lab, and relying on detailed instructions; create the first two tables in the database;
4. use the experience gained in creating the first two tables to add the remaining tables;
5. using the model from Parts A and B of the lab, and relying on detailed instructions; create the relationship between the first two tables in the database; and
6. use the experience gained in creating the first relationship to create the remaining relationships between the tables.