1. What is the most important difference between a corporation and all other organizational forms?
2. What does the phrase limited liability mean in a corporate context?
3. Which organizational forms give their owners limited liability?
4. What are the main advantages and disadvantages of organizing a firm as a corporation?
5. Explain the difference between an S corporation and a C corporation.
29. In fiscal year 2011, Starbucks Corporation (SBUX) had revenue of $11.70 billion, gross profit of $6.75 billion, and net income of $1.25 billion. Peet’s Coffee and Tea (PEET) had revenue of $372 million, gross profit of $72.7 million, and net income of $17.8 million.
a. Compare the gross margins for Starbucks and Peet’s.
b. Compare the net profit margins for Starbucks and Peet’s.
c. Which firm was more profitable in 2011?
31. See Table 2.5 showing financial statement data and stock price data for Mydeco Corp.
a. How did Mydeco’s accounts receivable days change over this period?
b. How did Mydeco’s inventory days change over this period?
c. Based on your analysis, has Mydeco improved its management of its working capital during this time period?
32. See Table 2.5 showing financial statement data and stock price data for Mydeco Corp.
a. Compare Mydeco’s accounts payable days in 2009 and 2013.
b. Did this change in accounts payable days improve or worsen Mydeco’s cash position in 2013?
33. See Table 2.5 showing financial statement data and stock price data for Mydeco Corp.
a. By how much did Mydeco increase its debt from 2009 to 2013?
b. What was Mydeco’s EBITDA/Interest coverage ratio in 2009 and 2013? Did its coverage ratio ever fall below 2?