1. Question : (TCO 1) Which statement most accurately describes the relationship between health insurance and health?
Student Answer: Compared with the insured person, the uninsured tend to be diagnosed at later stages of life-threatening illnesses.(Chapter 3, pg 21-22)
Having health insurance has no impact on a person’s overall health. Genetics and lifestyle choices are the only factors proven to impact health.
In an effort to avoid high-cost hospitalizations, the uninsured are more likely to practice health maintenance behaviors than those with insurance.
People who have health insurance display a 25 percent increased risk of dying when compared to the uninsured.
2. Question : (TCO 2) Which of the following are stakeholders in health care policy?
Student Answer: Individuals, Businesses, Consumers, and Purchasers(Answer located on page 193 in textbook)
Purchasers, Medical Suppliers, Providers, and Businesses
Providers, Hospitals, Physicians, and Insurers
3. Question : (TCO 3) Proportional payments are ________________.
Student Answer: the ratio of payment to income that is the same for all classes. (Chapter 2, pg. 14)
payments that take a falling percentage of income as income increases.
payments that take a rising percentage of income as income increases.
a set fee regardless of income.
4. Question : (TCO 4) Which of the following is an effective cost control mechanism?
Student Answer: Raising physician fees
Capitation payments (Located in Chapter 9 on page 108)
Patient cost sharing
5. Question : (TCO 1) How is Health Policy Formed?
Student Answer: Through discussion with patients
Through the judicial system
Through the legislative process
Both B and C (Week 1 Lecture)
6. Question : (TCO 3) Which of the following are modes of paying for health care?
Student Answer: Capitation, Fee-for-service, and Salary
Out-of-pocket payments, individual private insurance, employment-based private insurance, and government financing (Chapter 2, pg 5)
Private Insurance and government financing
Medicare, Medicaid, Private Insurance
1. Question : (TCO 2) What were the most common medical care structures of the first half of the twentieth century?
2. Question : (TCO 4) List the methods of physician payment.
3. Question : (TCO 2) What are the three models of organizing care? Provide a brief description of the care provided at each level.
4. Question : (TCO 4) What is the concept of patient cost sharing? Is it painless form of cost control? For whom?
5. Question : (TCO 3) Describe why private health insurance coverage has decreased over the past decades, creating the uninsured/under insured crisis? Who are the uninsured?