(TCO 1) One of the implications of technology in HRM is
Student Answer: workers will need the ability to read and comprehend software and hardware manuals, technical journals, and detailed reports.
employees will need more face time with their superiors.
managers will have to revert to autocratic decision making.
abuse of e-mail and web surfing is eliminated.
2. Question : (TCO 1) All of these are workforce diversity characteristics, except
Student Answer: varied personal characteristics.
increased participation of women and the elderly.
a large number of baby boomers in the workforce.
the increase of multicultural foods.
3. Question : (TCO 2) Organizations are oftentimes looking for ways to reduce operation costs. One option that is considered is selecting a consulting firm to provide training programs, private staffing agencies to perform recruiting and selection activities, and a financial organization to handle benefits. This option is an example of
Student Answer: offshoring.
4. Question : (TCO 2) The ABC manufacturing plant has outsourced all HR functions for a group of workers. This is an example of
Student Answer: shared services.
5. Question : (TCO 3) A consequence of an employment practice that results in a greater rejection rate for a minority group than for a majority group is
Student Answer: adverse impact.
Instructor Explanation: See Chapter 3, pages 60–61.
Points Received: 0 of 4
6. Question : (TCO 3) Under Title VII, the second defense against discriminatory charges is
Student Answer: BBQ.
7. Question : (TCO 3) Which of the following laws extended leave for family matters?
Student Answer: USERRA
8. Question : (TCO 4) Reagan has worked for 22 years at a 20-employee branch of a large auto parts chain. Business has been very bad lately, and there are rumors of consolidation, reorganization, and even bankruptcy. What protection is Reagan given under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act?
Student Answer: With less than 25 years seniority, he can be laid off with less than 6 months notice.
Reagan will be given 60 days warning if his location closes.
No protection; his industry is not covered by the act.
No protection; his branch is too small for coverage.
9. Question : (TCO 5) When a job analyst watches employees directly or reviews films of workers on the job, which analysis method is being used?
Student Answer: Group view method
Individual view method
10. Question : (TCO 4) Which of the following is not one of the guidelines for administering discipline?
Student Answer: Following the hot stove rule
Provide ample warning
Be consistent and personal
Making discipline actions progressive
11. Question : (TCO 5) This job analysis method requires job incumbents to record their daily activities.
Student Answer: Journal method
Technical conference method
12. Question : (TCO 5) Where does job analysis occur in the strategic planning process?
Student Answer: Before corporate goals and objectives are established
After corporate goals and objectives are established
After the labor supply and demand are compared
Before organizational mission is defined
13. Question : (TCO 6) Jane is the director of recruiting for a large corporation. Which of the following is a warning signal that her efforts are not effective?
Student Answer: Recruiting costs have increased 5% over the last 3 years.
Because 25% of resumes are received through the Internet.
Jane’s secretary spends more time acknowledging ad responses from qualified applicants than she did a year ago.
Jane’s secretary spends more time acknowledging ad responses from under qualified applicants than she did a year ago.
14. Question : (TCO 6) A good recruiting program is indicated by which of the following?
Student Answer: More native speakers apply and fewer foreign nationals apply.
More qualified applicants apply and fewer unqualified applicants apply.
All applicants are encouraged to apply for jobs.
Recruiting is phased out for women and minority applicants.
15. Question : (TCO 6) Which is not a step in the selection process?
Student Answer: Initial screening
Pending application form
16. Question : (TCO 6) Which of the following is a recruitment alternative that keeps employees longer than temporary employees and are employed by a firm.
Student Answer: Leased employees
17. Question : (TCO 7) In the selection process, a background examination should occur after
Student Answer: a medical/physical examination.
an initial screening.
a conditional job offer.
a completed application.
18. Question : (TCO 7) An activity included in pre-employment testing that creates a miniature replica of a job is called
Student Answer: a performance simulation test.
a work sampling.
an assessment center.
a global testing.
19. Question : (TCO 7) Which option is designed to probe areas not easily addressed by the application form or tests?
Student Answer: Comprehensive interview
Weighted application forms
20. Question : (TCO 8) Which is not an on-the-job training method?
Student Answer: Job rotation
21. Question : (TCO 8) What is an employee development method that involves exercises such as case studies, decision games, and role plays?
Student Answer: Job rotation
22. Question : (TCO 8) Shannon is in line for a senior vice president position at a large hotel conglomerate. She has just received a letter appointing her to the national environmental task force for water and electricity conservation. What is happening to her career?
Student Answer: Job rotation
23. Question : (TCO 9) Hector is a research scientist in a large company. He refuses to go to staff meetings but volunteers to attend conventions where he receives recognition for his accomplishments. He holds 17 patents (more than two for each year he has been with his company, and they are proudly displayed on his office wall), but will not work with his manager on quarterly goals. What is Hector’s Holland vocational preferences type?
Student Answer: Realistic-investigative-enterprising
24. Question : (TCO 9) Sarah has had continuous movement in performance and promotion. She now wants to be vice president of human resources by the time she’s 34 to 40 years old. Her next goal is to be CEO by the time she’s 55 after being VP. However, she seems to be just holding on to the VP position. She is at what career stage?
Student Answer: Exploration
25. Question : (TCO 9) Melissa prefers solitary work to large groups, asking questions rather than answering them, and making her own rules instead of following others. What Holland vocational preference model best represents her?
Student Answer: Realistic-investigative-artistic
(TCO 3) Explain the need for equal employment opportunity laws in organizations. How has it impacted HRM? Defend your position.
Explain the benefits of online recruiting.
You have just been promoted at the BBB Company and now have the responsibility of the employee orientation program. What components should be covered in the program? Explain what would be covered in your employee orientation program.